Parents/Families -- Please use the following email address to contact our Attendance Clerk and send notes related to absences or other attendance-related communication. Thank you!
OFFICIAL EMAIL: MS_attendance@g-pisd.org
Angil Wilburn, Attendance Clerk | G-P Middle School
Please arrive at school before classes begin.
School starts at 7:55am
Any student entering the building after classes begin will need to come to the attendance office, sign in, and get a pass to class.
If a student is checked out during the day for a doctor’s appointment, the student must present the (original) excuse issued by the doctor’s office upon returning to school. Even If the student comes to school during passing time they will need to sign in at the attendance office.
In accordance with the state law: The appointment must be a face-to-face consultation with a health care professional. A consultation over the phone or via video is not considered an appointment with a health care professional.
If a student is absent for any reason they should bring the original doctor’s note or written parent note explaining the reason for the absence to the attendance office the next day. All notes must have the students first and last name and date on them. Notes will not be accepted beyond 5 school days after the student’s return. Only 5 parent excuses will be accepted throughout the school year.
Note: The district is not required to excuse any absence, even if the parent provides a note explaining the absence, unless the absence is an exemption under compulsory attendance laws.
In accordance with the state law, every student who has reached the attendance threshold of 3 or 7 days missed, will be issued a letter stating the attendance laws.
A child’s attendance at school is mandated by Law according to the:
- Texas Education Code Section 25.085
- Truancy is defined in the Texas Family Chapter 65
- Parent Contributing to Non-Attendance: The Texas Education Code Section 25.093
SKYWARD FAMILY ACCESS:
Please use Skyward Family Access to keep track of your students absence and if you have any questions about an absence, contact the attendance clerk. CLICK HERE to login.
TO CHECK OUT A STUDENT FROM SCHOOL:
The person checking out the student MUST be listed in Family Access under the Emergency Contacts. A student will not be released to anyone not on the list!
How to add a person on the Emergency Contact list:
- Log into your Skyward Family Access
- Click on Student Info (on the left)
- Click on Request Changes for ____ (top right)
- Click on Add Emergency Contact (drop down)
Fill in the information and this person will be added immediately.
- 1st period Tardy ONLY: get a Tardy Slip from front office (Mrs. Cisneros) – Tardy Bell rings at 8:00am
- 2nd – 7th period Tardy: your Teacher will mark you Tardy in Skyward
Consequences for Classroom Tardies:
First three tardies are classroom referrals (documented by Teachers) with the following consequences:
- Warning (include date given)
- Student conference (include date)
- Parent contact (include date contacted)
- 4th tardy offense: Teacher documents in Skyward and student is given 2 days of lunch detention
- 5th tardy offense: Teacher documents in Skyward and student is given 5 days of lunch detention
“This school is one big family.”
Landon Boyd, GP Class of 2023